Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Today is THE day that the The Bead & Button Show began accepting registrations for classes for the June show. I have heard beaders tell tales of sitting at their computers, poised and ready for the appointed moment when they can attempt to register for their selected workshops/classes. Competition is fierce for some classes and there are thousands of attendees (nearly 14,000 last I heard) and most classes cut off at 20 students. Truth be told, B&B contacts teachers to ask them if they will offer additional sessions, or at least this has been my experience. So, if you are shut out, check back.
Nancy Tobey, whose glass focal bead is featured in, and was the inspiration for "Glass Bead Inspired Lariat", will be so glad to hear what a hit this class is.
Again this year I am teaching Diamonds of Fire Necklace as an exercise in the joy and boundless scultpural capacity of cubic right angle weave. There are still some openings in this class. It is underwritten by Swarovski, making it a "value-added" selection. I will of course give students the option of creating the convertible version that can be worn as two bracelets or a necklace.
If you scope out the entire on-line catalog you can see which classes are still accepting registrations and which classes are sold out. As faculty, each of us is given an access code to monitor our own class registration numbers. It thrills me that of my 6 classes, 4 are nearly sold out!

However, I'd imagined that the 2 Sides to Every Story Bracelet would fill right up, since it is an original stitch that I came up with after exploring polygon ropes in exquisite details these past few years. Plus, the bracelet is pretty and feels wonderful, almost like leather. But, the very best part is that the flat beadwork corrugates as you weave, magically transforming it into reversible work.
Tomorrow, 10 members of the Arlington Middle School Fiber Arts Club will create their own nuno felted scarves during their after school meeting. The supplies have been packed and ready to go for days. I'd promised this weeks ago and was pre-empted twice by their first snow day and then their teacher's illness. Tomorrow we're on! I will take pictures to share here.
Marylyn, my web mistress extraordinaire, has revamped my website. She placed a link to this blog and from here, one can click onto my calendar. She is posting the clear-the-decks sale items to make room for the new bezel kits for Swarovski stones, rivolis and cabochons, the Turbo Felting Board (on sale with free shipping until Feb 2 ) and the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment