Friday, September 30, 2011

More on my upcoming east coast felting workshops...

Just 3 weeks from today I'll be back at Bead Gallery Inc for 3 days of workshops. Owner Genevieve and I have scheduled 3 back-to-back (with meal breaks) workshops for Friday October 21 (3 of the 12 that I will be teaching at The Bead & Button Show next June). Saturday will be a full day of a brand new necklace I designed to premier here. And on Sunday we'll felt!! Fabulous Felted Fascinators. We'll work again in that gorgeous, spacious, ballroom across the street from the store. Lots of room for me to display the trunks of ingredients we can fabricate into our headwear. There will be a colorful array of fine merino wool you can choose from. I'll bring my collection of sequins, feathers (and I have some amazing ones), tulle and ribbons. You're certainly welcomed to bring your own bits and beads. Please bring a towel.
We'll cover felting topics that include flat felting, creating surface design, felting around a resist for hollow sculptural results, felting layers and tiers. I have become so darned excited writing this that I want to get my hands into some wool right now!!
This is the one of mine that I wear the most these days


It is an accordion pleated red cone attached to a flat piece. It has beaded edges, some embroidered drops plus shiny black feathers. I wear it with a hair stick but some are worn using combs or hairbands or barrettes (which we'll have on hand).


Terrible photo of a fun tiered flower fascinator boasting some amazing yellow feathers I acquired when teaching in Australia in April.

Speaking of Australia...I taught in Orange at TAFTA (The Australian Forum of Textile Arts) again this past April. Mentors in various fiber arts offer weeklong workshops. It is such a luxury to have a week of working with the same individuals on a topic. This year my workshop was Hand Felted Components and Jewellery. (This is how we spell jewelry in Australia.)The amount of technique that I can teach and the amount of production that takes place is soooo satisfying. The studio just buzzed. Capture a weekend of intensely satisfying feltmaking this December on our side of the planet!!! Meet me in Palm Springs Florida at Crystal Creations on December 10th and let's spend two days creating felt components and jewelry. Expect to learn many feltmaking techniques easily, using the small scale of jewelry. Create felt beads but, don't be confined to ubiquitous round ones. Learn to employ felt's "plastic" stage to shape them to your whim. Make felt ropes for necklaces, lariats and bracelets. Felt flat pieces to cut into components. Learn both construction and deconstruction as means to an end. Again...I'm wanting to get my hands into some wool right now, just talking about this. Crystal Creations is well known for its extensive inventory, lovely classroom and hundreds of workshops with nationally and internationally known beadwork and jewelry artists. Expect to combine your fresh felt components with other components (chain, beads, metal, wire, silk, findings) to complete your jewelry pieces.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment