Sunday, November 14, 2010

My day in Milford PA

My friend Mary Ann and I try to schedule a day together at least once annually. Usually she makes the big trip (north) and we visit, feast and hike all day at Mohonk Mountain House. This time she asked me to be her guest at a knitting event close to her "neck of the woods". I must say that my drive to Milford PA was nearly warp speed! Seriously, once onto Rte 84, it is 65 mph most of the way. And fellow drivers are not content to keep at 65. Whew. Anyway, it was just over 1.5 hours each way.


Jill Deal, Inc. (check out her fabulous window dressing in her store at 200 Broad St.) hosts these knitting daylong events regularly at the Hotel Fauchere across the street. I parked 'round back, as the signage indicated. Seeking out the knitting event was a task but, I was able to take in some of the lovely hotel as well as the Emerson next door. As it turns out, Hotel Fauchere owns the adjacent building which houses a most amazing and authentic patisserie downstairs and banquet and meeting rooms for group events upstairs.



The knitters gathered around a large, uh, huge, table. I think I counted 10 along each side and 2 at end end...about 2 dozen of us. At the head is our hostess Jill Deal. After the continental breakfast (offering the best croissants I've had since, dare I say, I sampled my own, while I was pastry chef at the Hudson House) there was leisurely "show & tell" session. We worked our way around the room, each knitter sharing what she had made recently and is currently working on. They freely shared instructions for projects and praised each item shown.



Marty, shown here, showed several completed projects including this shrug, a popular garment among these knitters.



For a couple hours we visited with each other and knitted (having given up knitting, I beaded instead). I really enjoyed the round table "show and tell" and would love to see us adopt this procedure at our bead blasts. This way everyone present at the time gets an opportunity to see the new work of the other beaders.
Across the hall a table was spread with "make your own sandwich/salad goodies" and we broke for lunch. Afterwards we knitted (beaded) some more and had a bite of dessert. By 3pm we wrapped it up, some had already bid us ado and others of us headed out to walk Broad Street and shop at the knitting store before heading home.



This store that now sells items for pets had at one time been the smaller space for the knitting store.



The newer larger knitting store is chock full of yummy yarns, many from companies and sources I recall from my knitting days. Lovely and luscious products. In the foreground see a trunk show of hand knit sweaters, shrugs, hats and vests. And that is Jill, herself, at the register.



Up the block from Jill Deal's knitting store we almost walked by The Artery, Fine Art & Craft Gallery. If you click on the link, notice that one of the artists in this cooperative gallery is Carolyn Baum, the glass artist who you may recall me posting about May 18th. I have several wired glass elements of hers that I am using with my felt work. More about this collaboration as it firms up.



These round forms in the window stopped me in my tracks. Upon asking for permission to snap a pic or two to share, the artist himself spoke with me. Richard Weber said he has been making carved balls of clay for several years.


He carves into them with an exacto knife when they are in their leather stage, producing a wide variety of patterns and designs. Each sphere is fired, glazed and fired again. Because they contain a few loose beads of clay, he refers to them as rattles.



In a separate window I spied this piece but neglected to inquire about it in particular. I love, love , love the contrast of the rippling fins with the sharp pointed protrusions at the top. When I see fascinating forms in other mediums it drives me to seek to produce them in felt. Hmm, wonder if this will inform something new in felt.
Jill's customer Jane mentioned the knitting cruises that Jill organizes. Plus Jill has a knitting event scheduled for December at Mohonk Mountain House.




She admired "Hooked on Daggers, Pearls, Silver and Gold", a bead crochet project that I teach. Perhaps we will have her knitters crocheting some beaded jewelry. What do you think?
Hope Elizabeth and the other artists had a great weekend selling their work at the Dutchess County Arts Council Fine Art and Craft Market at the Mercury Grand Hotel in Poughkeepsie, NY. I became so absorbed in my beadwork that I never left the studio today to take in the show. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment