Friday, November 19, 2010

So begins my weekend Rochester NY




Wondering what you're looking at? It's my attempt at sharing with you a rainbow I saw on Wednesday. It feels so special to see one. And then, on Thursday, I saw yet another. Yup, feels pretty special.

This morning I took the train from Poughkeepsie to Rochester. Seems like we've discussed it forever and at last, here I am in Studio 34 Creative Arts Learning Center.


After I checked into my hotel, I stopped by the studio. The place was abuzz. It is a large space broken into several working spaces. In one area a chain maille class was in progress...Full Persian Inverted earring by Barbara DeYoung.


If you think the name is exotic, you can rest assured that the design stands up to it.
Above, in the hot glass area is my hostess, Marilynne Lipshutz at her torch. She not only collects lamp worked beads and other glass artwork. She too is a beadmaker, preferring to work in borosilicate glass. And she even teaches bead making. Do you see the two Caucasian colored glass figures in bottom right of picture? They are the work of Milon Townsend, a local flame worker. Local but internationally recognized. I suspected it was his work, though I was baffled by seeing it displayed so casually. You may recall my posts from Hotel Murano when I last taught at the Puget Sound Bead Festival in Tacoma, WA. The entire newly renovated hotel is replete with glass art works. Dale Chihuly chandeliers grace the common areas and lobby, each floor is dedicated to a particular glass artist, and the guest rooms are appointed with amazing glass. I took in as much as I could, even studying their numerous volumes on glass artists around the world that line the lounge area of the lobby.



Beadworker Melinda Andrus occupies an area with her "Mel's Beadery". Have you ever seen such a tidy bead bench? And, her husband Dan said it wasn't because tonight she is having an open house. She is always this tidy and organized her buddy Suzanne seconded. Folks came and went, enjoying Mel's hospitality, jewelry sale and exhibit.


This is Suzanne Angell at the torch. She and Melinda had taken my classes at Bead and Button and now we're "old friends". They do craft shows together and are true P.I.C. (Partners In Cr... uh, Creativity). And this, my friends, is how I came to be at studio 34 tonight.
Off to bed now. Need to be fresh for teaching two half daylong workshops tomorrow and Sunday.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carol!

    I just saw this page (Yeah I know, I should get out more :)

    I was in your Rochester Class for the Fireflies necklace, which I LOVE and cannot wait for my Mom to open it on Mother's Day.

    Your class was a blast, I'm looking forward to being in more of them! :)

    -Peg Z

    ReplyDelete