Sunday, January 29, 2012

Just a final few things to share about my enjoyment of Japan last week.

In addition to exploring the food floor of Mitsukoshi Department Store Motoko and I shopped at Ninben.
Ninben is a purveyor of katsuobushi and other dry goods established in 1699.












In addition to a bag of the bonito flakes I use to make dashi, I bought the dried tuna filet.













Rather than purchase the device shown here to shave the filet to produce flakes, I'll use a plane, not so different from those my carpenter/woodworker husband Jay uses.
Ninben sells choice hongare katsuobushi, which means it has had the mold applied at least 4 times during the 6 months it takes skilled craftsmen to make.
Delicate flakes are also eaten as a food topping. It not only enhances the flavor of the other ingredients, it also dances in a most intriguing way.
When our appetites returned Motoko had a fine idea. She knows that the restaurant we enjoyed in Nagoya in 2008, known for its tebasaki, Nagoya-style chicken wings, has a branch in Tokyo. Yamachan's wings are crispy and non-greasy and soooo good with beer, though I took the opportunity to have saki.
Our visit felt luxurious though only a day long.
It was snowing on our walk back to the Tokyo Done Hotel. That little bit of white ornamental snow was lovely though, I heard it caused a bit of traffic havoc overnight. Tokyo drivers are unaccustomed to driving in it.












We won't see each other again until the Bead &
Button Show
in June in Milwaukee. I'll be teaching 12 classes and she'll be translating for several Japanese teachers (Hiroe Tagaki, Keiko Seki, Yumiko Watanabe, Emi Yamada). Check my class offerings in a couple days. There will be duplicate sessions of a few.

At the peril of making my posts all about the food...

Ok, I admit it. When I'm sharing my travels it seems to be all about the food. It is ACTUALLY all about the people and the love and the food. Easiest to share the food and hopefully you feel the love.
Tuesday noontime, Daisuke came by to take me to lunch before my heading back home. Pressed for time, he apologized for suggesting we eat at the Tokyo Dome food court. What a departure from what I've seen of food courts in the USA. My rice bowl with raw salmon and salmon roe was attractive and fresh and served with pickles and a small bit of sauce. When half was consumed, Daisuke advised me to pour the contents of the pot (perhaps dashi?) onto the remaining portion and enjoy it as soup.



Shinichi Kodoma, director and general manager of sales division (Tulip) joined Daisuke in seeing me off. This shot taken from my seat on the limousine bus bound for Narita airport.


My airport experience in Tokyo has been very civilized. And I enjoyed these sculptures...


Uh, are those sperm? I'm thinking, wondering, can these be sperm when I happen upon this sculpture...



Well yeah, if these are hearts, those were likely sperm. Hmm.





























- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone






No comments:

Post a Comment