Sunday, October 18, 2009

Another fun day at the NY Sheep and Wool Festival. For 45 minutes I have been trying to upload pictures for you and alas, they do not want to play nice. I am weary from the long day of schmoozing and selling and then packing everything up from my friend Susan's LAST SHOW. So, meanwhile, here is what I wish to share and hopefully tomorrow I can post the pictures.
We were neighbors with Susan of Artisan Buttons and Accessories. She had beautiful handcrafted buttons. The ones that particularly captured my attention and respect were the igolochkoy or miniature punch needle embroidery she does with her hand dyed wool thread. They were stunning little articles. Despite several attempts, the address she gave me to link to isn't doesn't work but, type http://www.buttonshow.etsy.com/ and you'll get there. Go figure!
In the adjacent building I found Marlene of Marlene's Felting Madness. It took me just a moment to remember meeting her and making time to visit with her at the Midwest Felting Symposium. She and her husband Carl, here from Ohio, had a large space offering an array of fiber and felting supplies. Her felting demonstrations throughout the festival attracted crowds and hopefully enlightened a few hundred more people about feltmaking. She is a delight and a thorough and wonderful source I am happy to tell you about.
Fran and Jamie dropped by to say hello. These sisters live miles apart and are both artistically inclined. They share a fondness for feltmaking and are seen here in some of their wearables. Jamie (on right) is wearing neckwear she made in the Bead Gallery workshop last week. The spiral motif is a thicker area of wool and is sculpted to emphasize its roundness.
Cindy Feinstein came by to shwo me her felted beaded bangle. She created this piece in the workshop a couple weeks ago when I taught at the first annual North Jersey Fiber Arts Festival. She wasn't thrilled with it at the time. Since then she has done some further deconstruction and then bead embellishment and is now happy with the results. Her husband joined her at the festival, even though she put the show aside to take a workshop in collage feltmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment