Friday, October 22, 2010

Jet beads and Beadzo




My friend Jane showed me a patch of bead embroidery on decaying fabric. It had belonged to her friend's grandmother. Because of their age and their opaque blackness, I am wondering if they are jet. I told Jane I would enjoy designing something out of these sentimental beads and the faceted seed beads that accompanied them. For her part, Jane strung the seed beads with a few 8mm beads from this stash. From this I made a multi-strand necklace for the pendant I would design. The finished pendant is a composition of the beads stitched to blackened stiffstuff and backed with black felt.



At last night's workshop at Beadzo, Cindy showed us that she finished the layered cross needle weave bracelet that she started last time. She is a quick study and followed the recipe in MASTERING BEADWORK more than relying on my help.






Terry worked on more Trillium beaded beads, one of the workshops I'll be teaching in Melrose MA next weekend at the new location of Bead Gallery Inc.


Sherry wanted to learn free-form peyote stitch. She chose a floral array of seed beads in many sizes and finishes.
It is so much fun teaching at Beadzo when there are several different projects to teach " at once". It works because everyone present knows they will have the attention and instruction they need. And for me, it is a bit like my 22 years as a chef. You never know how many or who will be coming to the restaurant or what they will want to order. It us fun juggling the stitches in my head and circulating among the students coaxing each through their progress.
Because, in the morning, I'll drive down to Bergenfield NJ to teach at Beads By Blanche, I'll say goodnight. Goodnight!
-Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment